8th Grade Information
Catholic High School Open House
Gateway High School Open House
New Dorp High School Open House
Fashion High Open House
Welcome Letter Class of 2024
Dear 8th Grade Families,
Welcome to the Class of 2024! Ms. Movsesian, Ms. Conanan and Ms. Iburg will be working with you this year to guide you through the high school admissions process. Each student will receive a letter from the High School Enrollment Office in the mail with a code to create a Myschools account.
Please begin to become familiar with the High School application process by visiting High School (nyc.gov). The following is important high school information so kindly take the time to carefully read through all categories. If you have any questions, please email Ms.Iburg at Miburg@schools.nyc.gov or Ms. Conanan at Aconanan2@schools.nyc.gov . Every email should include your childs’ full name and class in the subject line.
Today, we have updates for students interested in applying to any of the eight testing Specialized High Schools. Students apply to these schools by registering for and then taking the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT). Offers are made based on each student’s SHSAT score, their school preferences, and seat availability. Here’s what families can do, and when:
- Prepare: Detailed information, sample tests, and information about testing accommodations are available on our website.
- Register: Registration for the SHSAT will open in mid-October 2023. Specific registration dates and details (including information about requesting testing accommodations) are coming soon!
- Test: All registered students will take the SHSAT in November 2023. When specific test dates and other information become available, we will send updates.
If your child is planning to attend a Catholic High School, he/she must take the TACHS test for admission to a Catholic High School. The test date is November 3, 2023. You must register online at www.tachsinfo.com by October 26, 2023. The cost for this exam is $71.00. Your child must notify Ms. Iburg that they will be taking the test in order to account for their attendance. Enter your high school choices on tachsinfo.com. Your choices may be revised until November 4th. Failure to complete this information before November 4th will result in scores being unavailable to your high school choices.
If your child receives extended testing time, fill out an eligibility form for students needing extended testing time and send in the documentation to your aligned diocese along with a copy of the IEP, IESP, or 504 . You must email these forms to email@example.com by October 6, 2023. Please fill out an applicant record from tachsinfo.com and return to your first period teacher in an envelope with ATTN: Ms.Iburg on the front.
Resources available NOW!
- Tuesday, October 3, 2023: High School Application & Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT) Registration Opens
- Friday, October 27, 2023: SHSAT Registration Closes
- Friday, December 1, 2023: High School Application Closes
- Thursday, March 7, 2024: High School Offer Release
- Visit schools.nyc.gov/High and schools.nyc.gov/SHS to get the latest information and watch our video series to learn how to participate in high school admissions. For in-depth information, read last year's digital High School and Specialized High Schools Admissions Guide. Please note that some resources and information will be updated this fall to reflect any changes for 2024 admissions.
- Start exploring high school program options in the MySchools.nyc high school directory. You don’t need to log in or create an account to use the online directory!
- Sign up for email updates on High School Admissions: schools.nyc.gov/SignUp.
We look forward to a successful year together. Please feel free to reach out anytime via email for support.
Ms.Movsesian, Assistant Principal DMovsesain@schools.nyc.gov
Ms.Iburg, Coordinator of Student Activities Miburg@schools.nyc.gov
Ms.Conanan, Guidance Counselor Aconanan2@schools.nyc.gov
Yearbook Cover 2024