It is that time of year where new challenges and opportunities await. At the middle school level, this is when we introduce Arista. Acceptance into Arista, the National Junior Honor Society, is one of the highest academic honors you can achieve. Although the past two years have been quite different from the usual school year, we feel strongly that our students should still be rewarded for the hard work and dedication demonstrated toward their studies, especially during these challenging times. Arista is open to all 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students who meet the criteria. Even if you were accepted into Arista in a prior year, you MUST APPLY AGAIN for each year you would like to be in Arista.
Arista eligibility is determined by meeting the following criteria for:
- A minimum of a 90% average or P (if applicable) in every subject in the 1st and 2nd marking periods.
- All applicants must have excellent or satisfactory citizenship in all classes. Therefore, any student who receives an N or U in conduct on their report card will not be eligible to apply for Arista.
- Applicants must also fulfill service requirements. Students must show proof of involvement in at least 3 school spirit activities. Students must also show proof of one service activity that has been done from home. These activities will be verified by students attaching proof to their applications. (Proof can include a selfie or video of themselves participating in the school spirit activity, or another artifact approved by our Arista Coordinators).
- Students will also have to attach a 250-word essay describing how they embody the character and values of our school’s namesake ( Rocco Laurie ) on the 50th anniversary of his passing. Feel free to look up details of his life using the internet or come see Mr. Rocco for details.
- Students must complete the Google form application below by April 25th, 2022 to be considered for Arista.
After the second report card, applications will be distributed via a form From Google Please complete the application by April 25th, 2022 and be sure to attach screenshots of all report cards and proof of service.
If you or your child has any questions, please email Mr. Rocco, our Arista supervisor, at Grocco@schools.nyc.gov.